Guide to Frozen Food —Items to avoid and consume
Freezing is one of the best ways of food preservation as it preserves and controls the loss of nutrients .
But some manufacturers add extra sodium to enhance the taste of the food and this is dangerous. Similarly zero calorie types of food when frozen, have different additives, high levels of salt and sugar, saturated and high fats these lead to weight gain and health issues.
Some smoothies and health drinks have no fruit at all, but only sugars , gums, flavorings etc.Even whole, unsweetened fruits and zero calorie types of food when frozen, have additives, high levels of salt and sugar.
To make a chicken look big and delicious some manufacturers pump a chicken with water which on freezing forms crystals,and breaks the structure of the meat.
It is how you freeze your foods that makes the difference.
If we freeze our own food then we can keep it healthy and nutritious.
Foods that can be frozen are …
- Spinach when frozen, loses only 30% of its nutrients.
- Corn when frozen increases its levels of potassium and calcium than fresh ones .
- Cooked and frozen peas,increase their levels of beta-carotene and lose just 10% of ascorbic acid
- Raspberries increase their content of phenolic compounds on freezing.
- meats and fish of all kinds
- milk products fruit juices ,
Points to note
As Freezing food stops the growth of bacteria and micro-organisms, but does not kill them off they begin to grow on thawing. We should not reuse thawed food, thaw only that much which is needed.
Freezing food at the proper temperature also preserves nutrients and slows enzymes.
Freezing after blanching stops the growth of enzymes altogether but preserves the nutrients. The ideal freezer temperature is 0 Fahrenheit (-18 Celsius) for all food storage.